March 11, 2014

It's that time of the year...

...when the longing for some cute, fuzzy little baby goats and their mother's creamy milk is very intense. I keep imagining the little animals curled up together in fresh straw, or bouncing off of bales of straw and leaping into the air. New kids also have a wonderful baby smell. I cannot stop fantasizing feeding warm milk to kids and hearing them suck it speedily down, white foam circling their mouths.

If I don't find a remedy soon I might go crazy. I have no baby goats. I have one milking goat who refused to get bred, and two almost-yearlings who were too small to breed. I'm feeding three goats, and getting 1/2 a gallon a day of milk. Hay is expensive right now, too. On the bright side, though, at least my amazing Roxy is still giving 1/2 a gallon a day! Good little girl. But  I still want some babies.

I would like get another doe. Hopefully a small one (thinking miniature) who will be able to produce well for her size. Someday we might move closer into town, in which case smaller is better. Either a milking or pregnant doe would work, but I'm leaning towards pregnant because of the babies included. Ah, the dreams I have of baby goats every night. I actually have my eye on a couple of does, and could possibly end up getting one. Only possibly. But I'll let you know haw it works out.

1 comment:

  1. Are you going to continue to raise goats in Denver?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or question: